- This week’s newsletter 15-08-02.
Welcome to the Minster Church of St Peter ad Vincula. Some time in the 7th century the Saxon Hoard was buried in the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, At about the same time Christian missionaries arrived at a ‘sacred site’ or ‘Stoke’ by the river Trent. A wooden cross would have been erected to claim the site for Christ. The first church was built and dedicated to St Peter’s chains (St Peter ad Vincula). Here would have been based a mynster -a community of prayer – bringing the gospel to this part of Mercia. Here are the very foundations of the modern city of Stoke-on-Trent. Outside the church, the carved Anglo-Saxon stone pillar still stands and is the oldest ancient monument in the City of Stoke-on-Trent. Inside the Anglo-Saxon font is still used for baptism. The church has strong links with the industrial revolution in Stoke. Josiah Wedgwood, the famous potter, who worked to break the chains of slavery, is buried here. Members of the Spode family have their memorials here. Spode also contributed to the rebuilding of the church in 1826. On 17th May 2005 the Bishop of Lichfield designated St Peter’s as the Minster church for the CIty of Stoke on Trent. Stoke Minster is a Saxon holy site, linked to the industrial revolution and working for the well-being of the 21st century city. Come and see the church where the BAFTA winning drama ‘Marvellous’ was partially filmed. The church is well worth a visit. Father David Lingwood, Rector of Stoke Minster.