THe death of a loved one is always a traumatic time. We struggle with loss, grief and sometimes guilt. A Christian funeral can help bring comfort, healing and hope. at a very difficult time in our lives. If you would like to arrange a funeral at Stoke Minster, All Saints, Joiners Square or St Paul’s Mount Pleasant, please tell the Funeral Director. One of our ministers will then be in contact with you to discuss arrangements. The introduction to the service says:
“God’s love and power extend over all creation. Every life, including our own, is precious to God. Christians have always believed that there is hope in death as in life, and that there is new life in Christ after death.
Even those who share such faith find that there is a real sense of loss at the death of a loved one. We will each have had our own experiences of their life and death, with different memories and different feelings of love, grief and respect. To acknowledge this at the beginning of the service should help us to use this occasion to express our faith and our feelings as we say farewell, to acknowledge our loss and our sorrow, and to reflect on our own mortality. Those who mourn need support and consolation. Our presence here today is part of that continuing support.”
To find out more about a funeral at Stoke Minster please look at our Funeral sheet
- Funerals at Stoke Minster are personalised. Every life is special and we celebrate that life, no matter how short or long. Yet, unlike a secular funeral, a Christian funeral also has the added dimension of proclaiming hope after this life.
- A funeral in Stoke Minster is not restricted to a certain length of time. Crematoria can usually only allot a limited time for each service.
- A service at Stoke Minster, being local, is usually more convenient for friends and neighbours to attend
- Although our service is explicitly Christian and firmly based the love of God we see in the resurrection of Jesus, neither you, nor your loved one, has to be a regular church attender. We are here to serve the whole community and everyone is welcome to request Stoke Minster for a funeral.
- Church of England Funeral Service
- Prayers with the dying
- Readings at a funeral